Your source for poker information, culture, and community
Views: 1031
Date Posted: Sep. 30, 11:48am, 4 Comments

The answer to that facetious question is obviously yes.  They have all the right ingredients to succeed.

1.  They love playing at night, when the games are going strong.
2.  They have the necessary aggression.  They just seem to have a killer attitude. They really like going for the jugular.
3.  They don't ever seem to tire, almost like they have an eternal stamina.
4.  They have a real thirst to learn and soak things up.
5.  They have an intimidating table presence, with a stare that will mesmerize you.

The reason for my humorous blog is that I'm finishing up reading the Twilight series.  While I'm not a particular fan of Stephenie Meyer's writing style, she does introduce some interesting elements into the Vampire mythos. You don't have to accept your fate.  You can redefine it and create noble purpose out of your circumstances.  Resisting the base urges we all have is a constant struggle, but a worthwhile one.  She also emphasizes that even mortal enemies can find friendship and commonality to overcome the past.  And of course, for all the girls out there, that love knows no bounds even between human, vampire, and werewolf.

The other interesting aspect that I noticed while reading the four book series, is that vampires have gone mainstream.  Vampire movies have always been a part of our culture, but in the last 20 years, there has been a proliferation and acceptance of vampire culture that is found everywhere.  While I haven't followed cultural changes closely, I would probably source Anne Rice and her Interview with a Vampire books as affecting a generation.  Vampires are no longer exclusively evil creatures.  We are able to identify with their plight.  We embrace the lust and thirst for life.  We are thrilled by the visceral elements of their existence.  The alternative and secretive elements of our lives are validated by their dark pursuits.

Movies (some recent good examples amongst many)

- From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)
- Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
- Interview with the Vampire (1994)
- Queen of the Damned (2002)
- 30 Days of Night (2007)
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
- Vampires (1998)
- Salem's Lot (1979)
- The Lost Boys (1987)
- Blade 1 and 2 (1998, 2002)
- Fright Night (1985)
- Near Dark (1987)
- Underworld (2003)
- Van Helsing (2004)
- Vampires: The Turning (2005)
- Twilight (2009)

TV shows (some recent examples)

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Angel (spinoff from Buffy)
- Blade
- Blood Ties
- Kindred: The Embraced
- True Blood
- Vampire Diaries
- Moonlight

So the next time you are playing and feeling like your lifeblood (i.e. chips) is slowly draining away, wonder if your opponent might not be a vampire.

kid vampire

Views: 1014
Date Posted: Sep. 28, 2:55pm, 0 Comments

I've watched enough high stakes action over the years to know that it's not just about skill.  Every player who has reached the nosebleeds has skill.  It's not just about aggression.  Most every high stakes player is very aggressive, especially in PLO.  Sometimes, it's about running well, whether it be for a session, a week, a month or much longer.  A recent example on running well was my recent flipping blog entry where Phil Ivey won 8 out of 11 $100K flips against Ziigmund.  Running well is sort of a code for being lucky.   By lucky, I don't just mean you suck out a lot.  I don't just mean you get double suited aces often.  I don't just mean you get setup after setup in your favor, your opponent having a strong second best hand repeatedly.  Some days every time you bluff they have the nuts, and every time you have the nuts, they fold.  It is a combination of all of the above.

Late last night, as I was unwinding before bed, I saw some short handed high staked PLO going on, so I opened both 200/400 amd 300/600 tables for the roughly 600 hands that were played with Ziigmund, David Benyamine, theASHMAN103 and later OMGclayaiken.  Most of the action was heads up or three handed.  I went back and selected the 11 largest pots, each between $75k-$200k, except one.

It was clearly Ziigmund's night to prosper (winning 9 of the 11 biggest pots).  But can you call it luck, skill or both?

Hand 1. OMGclayaiken on button, Ziigmund in the BB
OMG is dealt  Ad Ah 3h Jc
Ziig is dealt     5d 2d As 8s
OMG opens on the button, Ziig 3bets in BB, OMG 4bets, Ziig calls (pot is $48.6K)
Flop - 8d 7d 3c
Ziig leads for pot, OMG reraises all in for 66k, Ziig calls
Turn - 9s
River - 8h
Ziigmund wins $175k pot with trip 8's

Ziigmund had 59.6% equity on the flop

Hand 2. David Benyamine on button, Ziigmund in the BB
DB is dealt   6h 4d 2d 2c
Ziig is dealt  10d 8c 7c 5d
DB limps, Ziig raises and called
Flop - 4h 6s Qd

DB is dealt   10h 7s 6d 5c
Ziig bets, DB calls
Flop - As 5h 10c
DB ck, Z pots, DB CR to 16k, Z reraises DB all in for another 10k
Turn - 8d
River - Qc
Ziigmund's set wins over two pair

Ziigmund had 94.5% equity on the flop.

Hand 4. David Benyamine on button, Ziigmund in BB
DB is dealt  Ks 10s 5h 5c
Ziig is dealt  Jh 6s 5d 4h
DB limps, Ziig bets, DB calls
Flop - 4s 7s 3d
Z leads pot, DB 2.4x reraise, Ziig repots to 36k, DB calls
Turn - 10h
Z leads pot, DB calls his last 65k
River - Kh
Ziigmund wins the $200k pot with to Z

Ziigmund had 64.4% equity on the flop and 80% on the turn.

Hand 5. Ziigmund on button, theASHMAN103 in the BB
Ziig is dealt    As Ac 9c 9h
ASH is dealt  Kh Kc 4h 3s
Ziig bets pots, ASH calls
Flop - 3d Ad 3h
ASH leads nearly pot, Ziig reraises pot, ASH reraises pot, Ziig goes all in for a bit more
Turn - 2d
River - Jd
Ziigmund wins $195k with a full house

Ziigmund had 95% equity on the flop

Hand 6. Ziigmund in SB, David Benyamine in the BB
Ziig is dealt    Js Jh Ac 9c
DB is dealt    8h 8s 5s 5d
Ziig bets, DB calls
Flop - 4c 7c 6h
Ziig chechs, DB pots, Ziig check raises pot, DB reraises, Ziig is all in and called
Turn - 10c
River - 4h
Ziigmund wins the $100k pot with a flush

Ziigmund had 39% equity on the flop

Hand 7. Ziigmund on button, David Benyamine in the BB
Ziig is dealt   As Kh Qs 2h
DB is dealt   Ac Ah 9s 6d
Ziig bets, DB 3bets, Ziig 4 bets, DB 5 bets, Ziig calls (pot is $64k)
Flop - 6h 5d 9h
DB pushes all in for 55k, Ziig calls
Turn - 10 h
River - 5h
Ziigmund wins the $175k pot with a flush

Ziigmund had 37% equity on the flop

Hand 8. Ziigmun on button, David Benyamine in the BB
Ziig is dealt   Ac 8d 7s Kc
DB is dealt   Kh 7h 10c Js
Ziig bets, DB 3bets, Ziig calls (pot is $7.2k)
Flop - Jc 9c 5h
DB leads pot, Ziig reraises pot, DB min reraises to 50k, Ziig pushes in for 11k more, DB calls
Turn - 8c

River - Jh
Ziigmund wins the $75k pot with trip J's

Ziigmund had 47.3% equity on the flop

Hand 11. Ziigmund on button, David Benyamine in the BB
Ziig is dealt   Kd 10d 9c 7h
DB is dealt   As Ah 7d 4h
Ziig bets, DB 3bets, Ziig 4 bets, DB 5 bets, Ziig calls ($65k pot)
Flop - 10h 4c 6h
DB leads 52k/all in into pot, Ziig calls
Turn - Qd
River - 5s
David Benyamine wins $170k with Aces

Ziigmund had 32.7% equity on the flop

All in all a good night for Ziigmund.

Views: 1072
Date Posted: Sep. 25, 2:34am, 1 Comment

There haven't been regular high stakes PLO games running lately, so when I can catch some of the action I like to share it.  I captured 10 hands where opponents were all in and thus showed their hole cards.  I'll let you decide if these hands are standard for the super charged aggressive high stakes environment or not, but I find them interesting nonetheless.  I keep trying different formats for presentation, especially in light of the harder to access hand histories on Full Tilt.

Hand 1: Four handed
Ziigmund is dealt Kd Ks Qh 2s UTG
Trex313 is dealt As 9c 7c 4s in the BB
Trex313 opens with a 3x raise, which is reraised 3.3X by Ziigmund and called by Trex313
Flop - 9s 10s 10h
Ziigmund pots 8k with an overpair and gutter, Trex313 goes all in for 15k with two pair and backdoor nut FD
Turn - 6s
River - 8c
Trex313 doubles with a straight

If I'm Trex313, I fold the flop, but he did have 44.4% equity against Ziigmund's actual hand but probably not against his range.

Hand 2: Five handed
Ziigmund is dealt Ks 10d Js Jc on the button,
John Juanda is dealt As Ad 2h 10s in SB
Ziigmund bets 3x pot, call by John Juanda, call by OMGclayaiken in BB
Flop - Kc Qd 4h
check, check, check
Turn - 7s
John Juanda leads out for  90% pot, called by Ziigmund
River - Kh
JJ bets 10k into 15k pot and called by Ziigmund, who wins the $35k pot with trips

Thin value bet by John Juanda.

Hand 3:  Four handed
Trex313 is dealt Qc Qh 3h 3s on button
John Juanda is dealt 7c 7s 10s 10c in SB
Trex313 3x pot bet, John Juanda 3 bets in SB, and called
Flop - 7h Qs 5c
John Juanda donk led pot, Trex313 reraises him all in for double that amount and called
Blank turn and river.

Trex313 wins set over set.

Hand 4: Four handed
Brian Hastings is dealt As Qh Jh 9h UTG
Gus Hansen is dealt 6d 4h 7d 6h in BB
Brian Hastings 3x raise, Gus Hansen calls
Flop - 8h qd 7h
Gus Hanse donk leads pot, Brian Hastings reraises pot, Gus Hansen pushes for 1k more, call
Blank turn and river and Brian Hasting holds

Light lead and call from Gus with low flush draw, 3rd pair, and gutter (he had 36% equity)

Hand 5: Four handed
Gus Hansen is dealt Ks Qd 10c 8c in cutoff
Brian Hastings is dealt Ac 6c 5s 3d on button
Gus Hansen pots pre flop, call by Brian Hastings
Flop - Jc 9c 8h
Gus Hansen pots the flop, call by Brian Hastings
Turn - 8d
Gus Hansen checks, Brian Hastings bets 55% of the pot, called
River - Js
Check, check - Gus Hansen wins $35k with a straight

Brian tries a turn steal when shown weakness, but Gus calls down with trips

Hand 6: Four handed
Trex313 is dealt Ah Ad 10d 7s on button
Gus Hansen is dealth Jh 2s 4s 2h in SB
Trex313 raises preflop and is called
Flop - Ks 5h 2d
Gus Hansen donk leads pot, Trex313 reraises all in
Turn - 7d
River - Qh
GH wins $38k with bottom set

Trex313 plays his overpair very aggressively but only has 13% equity when Gus hits his set.

Hand 7: Four handed
Trex313 is dealt As Jd 7c 5d on button
Patrik Antonius is dealth Kd Qc Jc 8s in SB
Trex313 makes a standard 3x raise pre, Patrik Antonius 3bets pot, OMGclayaiken calls, Trex313 calls
Flop - Ad Qd 10c
Patrik Antonius leads for half pot, Trex313 min reraises basically his remaining stack, called
Turn - 2c
River - 6c

Loose seeming reraise by Trex313 on the flop with one pair, gutter, and medium flush draw and 42% equity.

Hand 8: Five handed
Ziigmund is dealt As Js 6s 4h in cutoff
Brian Hastings is dealt  Ac Kc Qc 3h in BB
Ziigmund raises, call by Trex313 and Brian Hastings
Flop - Ah Kd 6d
Brian Hastings checks, Ziigmund  pots, Brian Hastings calls
Turn - 5c
Brian Hastings checks, Ziigmund pots, Brian Hastings check raises all in for another 11k, Ziigmund calls
River - Jd
Brian Hastings wins $74k with top two pair

Aggressive betting from Ziigmund with top and bottom pair that Brian Hastings calls down with top two pair.

Hand 9: Four handed
Patrik Antonius is dealt 7s 6h 6c 5h UTG
OMGclayaiken is dealt Ac Kh Qc 8c on button
Patrik Antonius raises, called by OMGclayaiken and Ziigmund in SB and Trex313 in BB
Flop - Jc 2c 6d
check, check, Patrik Antonius leads 85% pot, called only by OMGclayaiken
Turn - 10s
Patrik Antonius checks, OMGclay aiken pots for 20k, Patrik Antonius check raises all in for 58k
River - 3d
Patrik Antonius wins $135k with a set of 6's

When shown weakness, OMGclayaiken pots the turn with his nut flush draw and straight draw and calls another $40k to see $100k in pot holding 42.5% equity.

Hand 10: Four handed
OMGclayaiken is dealt Kc 9c 8h 5h in SB
Ziigmund is dealt Ah Kh 4h 4c in BB
OMGclayaiken raises and is called pre
Flop - Ac Kd 5s
OMGclayaiken leads with his two pair and Ziigmund reraises getting it all in
Turn - 9d
River - 5d

Ziigmund has 85% equity on the flop as his two pair dominate OMG's two pair.

Views: 623
Date Posted: Sep. 17, 4:26pm, 3 Comments

Okay, I'll be the first to admit I'm not a gambler and I've never understood flipping.  Even for action junkie degens, it has never seemed to make sense to me.  The lifetime return is 50-50, so where is your edge? If it isn't a flip and you don't have an edge, than your opponent does and they are giving that up to agree to the flipping.  How exciting is it to flip a coin?  It often seems to be initiated by someone who is losing already, frustrated, and looking for a quick return to even or a greater hurting.

Today's high stakes example comes from none other than Ziigmund and Phil Ivey.  Ziigmund had been playing Durrrr heads up for a while, that I missed.  Tom had about 300k and Ziigmund 400k before Durrrr had to leave.  Ziigmund then jumped on Ivey Thunderdome.   Nothing too notable occurred early as Ivey pulled to a 60k lead while they discussed Ziigmund possibly coming to London to play in the big cash games with Cyr.  Then in the next 30 hands Ivey won pots totally $835k vs. Ziigmund pots won totaling $218k (for a $617k difference).

- Ziigmund then initiated the flips request ($100k each, except for one $200k flip)
- Ivey won the first two
- Ziigmund requested $300k be loaned
- They did 10 flips in total (with one being a $200k flip)
- Ivey won 7 including the $200k flip to Ziigmund's 3.
- Ivey transferred 200 more but had to leave and urged Ziigmund not to jump off a balcony.
- Ivey left with $953k in under an hour.

Edited text of the 40 hands....(I bolded some of the more interesting chat)

Phil Ivey wins the pot ($161,999.50) with three of a kind, Kings
Ziigmund: aw4 y
Ziigmund:  dg
Ziigmund: nj
Ziigmund: aryjä'sryj
Ziigmund: sryjsry'syjsryjjxr
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($1,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($53,999.50)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($41,999.50)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($17,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($17,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($2,000)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($17,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($45,999.50)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($2,000)
Ziigmund: zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Ziigmund: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($2,000)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($5,999.50)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($17,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($1,000)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($2,000)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($5,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($5,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($1,000)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($1,000)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($47,999.50)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($15,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($5,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($5,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($43,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($31,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($208,991.50) with two pair, Aces and Jacks
Ziigmund wins the pot ($1,000)
Ziigmund wins the pot ($41,999.50)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($2,000)
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($240,998.50) with two pair, Kings and Threes
Ziigmund: ok
Ziigmund: 1 flip
Phil Ivey: k
Phil Ivey shows [7h Qc Ac Qd]
Ziigmund shows [2s Qh 3s 2h]
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($199,999.50) with two pair, Kings and Queens
Ziigmund: ok 1 more all in
Phil Ivey: k
Ziigmund shows [2d Jd 6d 9s]
Phil Ivey shows [6c 4h 6h Kd]
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($137,714.30) with three of a kind, Sixes
Ziigmund: send me 300
Ziigmund: lets flip few more
Phil Ivey: i sent it
Ziigmund: ok
Ziigmund: wait
Phil Ivey: yessir
Ziigmund: f
Ziigmund: u
Ziigmund: cigaret
Ziigmund: back in 3 min
Phil Ivey: don't let money change u
Phil Ivey: lol
Ziigmund: now i win
Ziigmund: lets bet flop
Ziigmund: 10k
Phil Ivey: k
Ziigmund: 9TJA
Phil Ivey: kq87
Ziigmund shows a pair of Aces
Phil Ivey shows two pair, Kings and Eights
Ziigmund: 3679
Phil Ivey: aj23 spades
Ziigmund wins the pot ($199,999.50) with a straight, Ten high
Ziigmund: 100 each
Phil Ivey: k
Ziigmund: Akj5
Phil Ivey: what do i need to bet
Ziigmund: hahahaha
Ziigmund shows [Js 6s Ah 9s]
Phil Ivey wins the pot ($199,999.50) with a straight, Six high
Ziigmund: cool
Ziigmund: no london
Ziigmund: jumping from balkony
Phil Ivey: lol
Phil Ivey: don't do it. i will have no one to flip with me
Ziigmund: send me some
Ziigmund: lets play more
Ziigmund: y0 phil
Phil Ivey: sent 200 have to quit soon
Ziigmund: ok lets flip those
Ziigmund: if u quitting
Phil Ivey: keep the 200. we will play later gotta go
Phil Ivey: be back in a hour

Views: 644
Date Posted: Sep. 15, 6:59pm, 0 Comments

Scene by scene, the scenario was similar.

My life was in jeopardy.

I was on the run.

Someone wanted to take my life, any life.

I didn't know why. It didn't matter.

He was close, but I would elude him.

First he was an unknown assassin.

Then he was a terrorist and rogue element.

Later I learned he thought of himself as a freedom fighter.

He fought for his own sense of justice and freedom.

His end goal, my life.

Every sense I had felt alive as I escaped his goal.

I needed to remain one step ahead, to parry his every thrust.

I reveled in my decisions.

At times, he would gain on me, but I would regain my distance.

Just when he thought he had me, I would escape.

In the moment, I felt superior, but never smug.

It could all end in one move.

I battled for my life with every fiber of my existence.  Nothing else mattered.

It was he or I.  Would I prevail?

...It may have been a dream, but as I load up my next table, it may be my reality.  Good luck at the tables.

Views: 558
Date Posted: Sep. 14, 1:29pm, 4 Comments

When you are involved in a poker community, one thing you are exposed to a lot is people's bad beats.  People love to share them.  They also love to share their misfortune, much more than their successes and good luck.  It's human nature.  We all need to vent when things don't seem to be going our way.

I recently have been on a downswing.  It seemed like 85% of the time I was getting my money in way ahead and 85% of the time I was being drawn out on.  It happens.  The key is how do you handle it.  Thankfullly I have been through numerous downswings and recoveries that give me confidence that it is temporary and that I can work my way out of it.  But, I thought I would share some of my suggestions that might be helpful to others.

The theme to most of these is 'changing things up'.

1. Take a break.  This is about clearing your head and removing the bad mindset from your play.

2. Change your external environment.  Removing distracting forces like music, tv, IM's, etc can allow you to focus differently.  It can be changing the times of the day you play, or how long your sessions go.

3. Change your online environment.  Something as simple as changing the default background for your poker table can give you the feel of a fresh start.  Changing your avatar or emotion can also mix things up.

4. Change the site you play on.  Each site has a different feel, blind structures, and competition.

5. Change your game.  Switching to another format or game from your usual, is a good way to clear your head and change your focus.  Play SnG's, MTT's, or cash to mix it up.

6. Drop down limits.  This reduces your variance if you continue to run bad and often introduces different style of play at different limits.

7. Learn a new game.  Playing a different game can completely take you away from your downswing and focus on learning or improving another form of poker.

8. Rail good players.  Identify good players at your level and really study/watch their game, to see what they are doing well.

9. Read a poker book.  There are hundreds out there nowadays that you can select one for most any specific game or area you play.

10. Join a training site.  Watching videos of top pros play as they talk through their thinking process can be great for your game.

I'm sure there are a number of others...feel free to add your suggestion in the comments!

Views: 571
Date Posted: Sep. 9, 3:23pm, 6 Comments

Isn't that the expected line we hear from the alien as they land in a strange new world? They want to establish that they are not a threat.  They may look different, act different, speak different, but their intentions are good.  They want to get along, co-habitate and see what they can learn from each other.

For much of my life, this is how I have felt.  I had an interesting childhood where I lived in several African countries, in international communities, and was exposed to many different cultures.  When I returned back to the US when I was 10, a part of me never fit in.  I never understood the 'baseball, apple pie, and Chevrolet' American perspective.  I didn't embrace a lot of the values and perspectives of my peers.  In my formative teen and college years I learned not to share the parts of myself that others couldn't relate to easily.  That strategy worked for my post college African travels and experiences as well.

In fact, if I scan my 42 years, there have been relatively few times that I have truly connected with others to a point where I felt that I was talking to a fellow alien from my home planet.  I know they are out there.  I know I'm not alone.  I know lots of people feel this way too.  They just happen to be from another solar system from mine.

The different perspectives show up in a variety of areas; financial, emotional, relational, communication styles, intensity, dedication, even sex.  When not on your home world, you have to constantly compromise to interact and survive.  I don't mind being different, as long as I'm not overly judged.  Otherwise, the natural choice is to keep it hidden.  It's what most of us do.  But like most people, I just want to be myself and live in peace. I have a desire to connect.  I share that with you humans.

Views: 510
Date Posted: Sep. 6, 2:36pm, 0 Comments

People love freerolls.  The concept is simple.  You risk nothing with the hopes of winning something.  In theory, if you risk nothing, you shouldn't be disappointed when nothing comes of it.  And yet almost everyone is disappointed when we bust out.  We have invested our time and whatever skill we have against this unknown field of opponents.  We all have a competitive spirit.

Every freeroll I play in for Poker Curious I want to do well.  It doesn't matter that I don't play NLHE regularly; PLO is my game.  It doesn't matter that I don't play tournaments, cash is my game.  It doesn't matter that I know going in that people will play wild and crazy.  I understand the dynamics.  People play sub optimally.  They are free to take their shots however they like.  It costs them nothing to test their luck.  I only control my own variables and I have to accept whatever outcome the poker gods deliver.

Today, for instance, I only played two sizable pots.  The first one I flopped a set of 10's and my opponent, who had 6.7% equity on the flop, caught his runner runner straight after the money was all in.  In the second hand, my opponent raised and I shoved all in with 10's.  They called with 5's.  They hit their two outer on the flop.  GG me.  Obviously the percentages didn't work in my favor, but in poker all you can do it put your money in with the best hand (best equity) and leave it at that.

Freerolls are free, but the necessary mindset to handle them and the outcome of any poker situation is something we all have to continually work on.  No one likes to lose, but in any tournament, everyone is a loser, but one.  Dealing with losing is as important, or more so, than any other component of poker.

Rounded border
Showing: 1 - 8 of 8
Page: 1

© Poker Curious LLC 2009 | All Rights Reserved. | User Agreement | Privacy Policy | Site Map